That's right, apparently over 1000 infections were caused by one employee of one restaurant. Makes so much sense, doesn't it? From the Des Moines Register:
"State inspectors suspect an infected employee accidentally caused scores of people to become ill after they ate at a Johnston restaurant.
The unidentified food-preparation worker reportedly was at Trostel's Greenbriar Restaurant Friday and Saturday, when the affected patrons ate there.
The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals learned Tuesday that the man had been ill, and told him to leave the Greenbriar and not return until a doctor gave him medical clearance, department Director Steven Young said.
An inspector learned later Tuesday that the man was working at a second job at the West End Diner in West Des Moines, Young said. The man then was ordered out of that restaurant. No illnesses had been reported from the West End Diner by Wednesday afternoon.
The list of sick people continued to grow Wednesday. Public-health officials had said Tuesday afternoon that they knew of 71 Greenbriar patrons who had become ill. They said they continued to receive new reports Wednesday, but they did not have an updated tally. Most ill patrons suffered vomiting or diarrhea. At least two were hospitalized, officials said.
Authorities suspect the cause was a norovirus, a highly contagious germ that has caused nearly 1,000 illnesses in the state in recent weeks. The virus often is spread when an infected person handles food. Experts are urging Iowans to wash their hands carefully and to avoid preparing food for others for three days after they have had bouts of vomiting or diarrhea.
Young said a close inspection of the Greenbriar kitchen found no cleanliness problems."
One employee, acting alone and oblivious, spreads norovirus far and wide, via a clean kitchen where he had no interaction with patrons...
Uh huh. Sure, I buy it. Are the health inspectors huffing gas? Possibly corn-grown ethanol?